ENGLAND ATTACK COACH
Remuneration package to attract the best candidates (except you, Brian).
Reporting to the England Team Manager, Martin Johnson, this is a fantastic opportunity to work with (and be stabbed in the back by) senior England players and coaches. The England Attack Coach is responsible for providing specialist Attack coaching for players in the England senior team squad - coaching which the players are more than likely to ignore when push comes to shove. This coaching role will cover all aspects of attack play, even the scoring of tries - heaven forbid.
You will provide coaching both at England training sessions and with individual players at club locations where you will be regarded with hostile suspicion. It is an important aspect of the role that the Coach engages in coaching sessions at Premiership clubs in conjunction with, and to the irritation of, the Clubs’ Directors of Rugby.
Other key responsibilities include:
- Working with the England Team Manager and the Elite Rugby Director in developing and implementing the annual team playing and selection bun fight for the England senior team.
- In conjunction with the England Team Manager plan, implement and review specialist attack skills and strategies for the England team, passing and catching being the no.1 priority.
- Liaise with the England Team Manager and the Elite Rugby Director to ensure all England players within the EPS squad have a single co-ordinated programme, to include a list of dates when visiting a Soho nightclub will be permitted.
- Work closely with the Guinness Premiership club coaches, whether they like it or not, and provide coaching support and a shoulder to cry on to agreed England players within their club environment.
- To succeed in this high profile role, candidates will need to demonstrate:
- A background of high-level achievement in a senior coaching role at either National or Regional level or within a high performing, senior professional Club within the sport. Coaching a team who finished second at the Rugby World Cup, however, just won't cut it.
- A good appreciation of the structure and the issues of the game within England and the challenges it faces within and across the global platform. If you've been watching the Super 14 on the telly that might help.
- An influential personality who is highly self-motivated and has skin as thick as a rhino's; an instigator and driver of progress with a genuine enthusiasm and commitment to the task in the face of open hostility from, in particular, the England forwards coach.
- (unlike your employers at the RFU) a high level of integrity and credibility within the game, with an ability to develop effective working relationships, both internally and externally.
This is a national role which will be based at Twickenham and from home, and involve irregular hours, extensive travelling and no thanks whatsoever. An excellent employment package is offered including company car; pension scheme; life assurance, family health benefits, psychiatric therapy and a whacking great severance package when we scapegoat you when results don't go our way.
To apply, please send your CV and covering letter, quoting your current remuneration package, to the Head of Human Resources, Rugby Football Union, Rugby House, Twickenham, TW1 1DS or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Err, not you, Brian.