Prior to the nightmare that unfolded at Twickenham yesterday evening I spent the afternoon with TF Jnr at Milton Keynes watching Japan v Samoa. A few observations:
- excellent game from Japan, especially the first half - great enterprise and their discipline was incredible - only 4 penalties conceded all match;
- quite the opposite from Samoa;
- very impressive stadium - neat, compact, comfortable seats, easy access to food and drink and to cap it all a record attendance;
- great atmosphere (mostly - see below), plenty of wildly enthusiastic Japanese fans with most neutrals also supporting Japan;
- several irritating attempts to get a Mexican wave going - even during kicks. Show a bit of respect;
- ditto the idiots singing "Swing Low";
- finally disappointed that Japan didn't get their bonus point. On yesterday's evidence the Scots should ease past Samoa so Japan won't make the quarters - a huge shame given the way they have played.